- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, omitting salt.
- Drain and set aside. (NOTE: Do NOT be tempted to skip this step! Trust us, we’ve done it so we should know!)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Sauté onion in butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk and wine.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat; add salt, pepper, and Cheddar cheese.
- Stir until cheese melts.
- Add macaroni; mix well.
- Pour into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 15 minutes; uncover and continue baking another 15 minutes.
Original recipe by: JenSmith
(Grabbed from: https://www.food.com/recipe/macaroni-and-cheese-with-wine-144668)