¼ cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1/8 cup 5% or 10% cream
1 ½ tsp. olive oil
1 medium sized garlic clove, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Flat Bread – one rectangular 6” x 12” (such as Stonefire brand, 400g package of 2)
1 slice of large red onion, finely chopped
½ an avocado, pitted and sliced into 8 slices
2 hands full baby spinach
Fresh mozzarella (such as Zerto), 4 slices
Grated Parmigiano Reggiano (enough for sprinkling over flat bread)
NOTE: Depending on serving size, one flat bread will serve two to four people. Each flat bread, once removed from heat source, will be cut into four pieces.
- Blend the ricotta, cream, olive oil and minced garlic together in a small bowl, season with salt and pepper. Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to use. Takes about six minutes to make and will keep for about three days. Makes enough for two 6” x 12” flat breads.
- About 15 minutes before first course, heat barbecue or oven to 425˚F (if using a pizza stone place in oven or barbecue before starting).
While barbecue or oven is heating, prep pizza toppings for 1 – 6” x 12” flat bread:
- Finely chop one slice of red onion.
- Cut avocado in half, remove pit and slice half of avocado into 8 slices.
- Wash about 2 hands full of baby spinach, dry and set aside.
- Cut four slices of mozzarella.
- Have Parmigiano Reggiano ready for sprinkling over pizza once removed from barbeque or oven.
Assembly of Pizza:
- Place one flat bread on pizza peel / wooden paddle (if using barbecue) or on a flat baking sheet lined with parchment paper (if using the oven).
- Spread half of white sauce over the flat bread, leaving ½ inch border.
- Top with chopped red onion, then sprinkle with baby spinach. Assuming that the flat bread will be cut into four pieces just before serving, place the 8 slices of avocado on top of spinach so each piece of flat bread will have two slices of avocado, then top the avocado slices with the mozzarella slices.
- Slide the flat bread onto the pizza stone, or directly onto the lightly oiled grill of barbecue, or into the oven (on the baking sheet). (Pizza stone will allow the flat bread to become crispy and cook evenly.)
- Allow the flat bread to cook for 5 minutes on barbecue or 7 minutes in oven. The cheese should be just melted and the spinach wilted.
- Remove from heat source and top with a dusting of Parmigiano Reggiano. Cut into four slices and serve with Italian Soave white wine. One or two slices per person depending on portion size desired.
Recommended wine: Italian Soave