- 100g (½ cup) cherries, pitted
- 250ml (1 cup) kirsch
CHOCOLATE COFFEE SPONGE
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, melted and then cooled
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp coffee powder
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 5 tbsp Coffee Cream Liqueur
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- For the Marinated Cherries: Place the cherries and the kirsch in a jar. Cover then set aside for at least 24 hours or as long as possible.
- For the Chocolate Sponge: Preheat the oven to 355°F .
- Grease three 20cm (8in) springform tins and line the bases with parchment paper.
- In a bowl whisk, together the eggs, vanilla paste and sugar on a medium to high speed until pale yellow and double in size.
- While still whisking, pour in butter a little at a time until incorporated.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder and coffee powder and fold in fully.
- Divide the batter between the three tins, and even out the mixture in each one.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes before turning them out onto your cooling racks. Set aside to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- For the Coffee Cream: While cooling, in a mixing bowl place all the ingredients for your Coffee Cream and whisk until firm.
- Drain the cherries over a bowl, reserving the kirsch, and fold into the half of the Coffee Cream.
- Spoon the kirsch over the sponges.
- To assemble the cake: Put one of your sponges into the centre of your plate and spread over half of the cherry jam and spoon over half of the cherry and Coffee Cream mixture. Place the second sponge on top and repeat the process.
- Optional: Top with chocolate sauce (store bought or homemade) and cherries.
- Place in the fridge for 30-60 minutes before serving for best results. Enjoy!
Original recipe by: Michelle Minnaar