This salad is perfect for last-minute entertaining, it can be paired with whatever wine you have in stock.
Meet the versatile (dare we say magical?) entrée-sized summer salad from Contigo in Austin, Texas, that pairs sublimely with whatever wine strikes your fancy, be it red, white, sparkling or rosé.
STEP 1: MAKE YOUR DRESSING
- ½ cup tarragon, minced
- ½ cup parsley, minced
- ½ cup scallions or chives, minced
- ½ cup cornichons, minced
- ½ teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Stir all ingredients until evenly mixed.
STEP 2: PICK A PROTEIN
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¾ tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¹?? teaspoon white pepper
Toss everything in a bowl. Place shrimp on a hot grill, and cook until opaque, about 1–2 minutes per side. Remove from grill. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cleaned and pounded even
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
Liberally salt and pepper each side of the breasts and brush them with oil. Place on a hot grill and cook through, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from grill and slice into strips.
- 1 pound of sirloin steak, about 1-inch thick
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or melted butter
Marinate steak in soy sauce for 20–30 minutes. Brush steaks with oil or butter, then place on a hot grill, cooking each side for 3–5 minutes until medium rare. Remove from grill and slice into strips.
STEP 3: GRILL YOUR ROMAINE AND PEPPERS
- 3 heads romaine lettuce, outer leaves removed
- 2 red peppers, cored and quartered
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
Toss the romaine hearts and peppers in olive oil and salt to taste. Place the hearts and peppers on a hot grill, turning often until lightly charred, about 1–2 minutes. Cut the hearts into large bite-size pieces, discarding the cores, and place with the peppers in a large bowl.
STEP 4: TOSS & SERVE
- 4 cups loose arugula
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- Feta cheese, crumbled
While still warm, toss the romaine with the arugula and nuts and place into two dinner bowls. Place the protein on top. Sprinkle on the feta, and add salsa verde dressing, both to taste. Serves 2.