Rum Carrot Cake:
- 3 cups carrot(450 g), hand-grated
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour(310 g), plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup light brown sugar(200 g), packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar(100 g)
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup vegetable oil(240 mL)
- 1 cup raisin or choice of nut(150 g) (optional)
- 8 oz rum
- 1 cup unsalted butter(225 g), (2 sticks) room temperature
- 12 oz cream cheese(340 g), room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar(240 g)
- 2 cups walnuts(200 g), crushed (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Grease 3 8-inch (20 cm) round cake pans and line with parchment paper.
- Grate the carrots on the small holes of a box grater. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together 2½ cups (310 G) of flour, the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk together.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and eggs together with an electric hand mixer on medium speed until just combined.
- With the mixer running, gradually pour in the vegetable oil and 5 oz of the rum (rest will be used later).
- With the mixer on medium-low speed, add ⅓ of the flour mixture at a time to the wet ingredients. Beat just to incorporate. Stop mixing when there is just a small amount of flour visible.
- Optional: In a small bowl, toss the raisins or nuts with the remaining tablespoon of flour.
- Add the raisins or nuts and grated carrots to the batter and fold to incorporate with a rubber spatula.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the prepared pans and smooth the tops.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a fork inserted in the centre of a cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes on a wire rack until the pans are cool to the touch. Remove the cakes from the pans and let cool completely on the rack.
- Make the icing: In a large bowl, beat together the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla with an electric hand mixer on medium-low speed. Once combined, mix on medium-high speed for 30 seconds, until light and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar, ½ cup (60 G) at a time, beating on medium-low speed to incorporate each addition.
- Assemble the cake: Check to see if the top of each cake is flat. If not, use a serrated knife level off the cakes. Use pastry brush to soak cakes with remaining rum.
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving platter or cake stand. Spoon ¼ of the icing on top and spread in an even layer. Add another layer of cake and spread with another ¼ of the icing. Set the last cake layer on top with the bottom up to ensure a very flat surface.
- Optional: Gently press the walnuts into the icing around the sides of the cake. Dust cake with icing sugar.
- Chill for 30-60 minutes to let the icing set, then slice and serve.
Original recipe by: Kiano Moju Tasty Team
(Grabbed from: https://tasty.co/recipe/carrot-cake)