- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1 ⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening or 1/2 cup of softened butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 ounces chocolate, melted
- 3 -6 ounces dark rum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix flour, soda, salt and sugar into food processor.
- Pulse with metal blade; set aside.
- Cream shortening in mixer until soft.
- Add sifted dry ingredients and 3/4 cups milk.
- Mix till well blended.
- Add vanilla, eggs, and melted chocolate, and remaining milk.
- Beat 1 minute longer.
- Pour into well greased and floured 2 9-inch layer pans.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Set on wire rack for 5 minutes then invert; poke holes with fork all over one side of cake and pour rum on both layers.
- Let rest for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Optional: Layer with frosting if desired.
Recipe by: Rita1652
(Grabbed from: https://www.food.com/recipe/devils-food-cake-soaked-in-rum-51343)