Last weekend, one of our employees said that they LOVE LOVE LOOOOVE carrot cake. So, we decided to add a Wine Butler twist on this classic dessert. It’s typical to see a carrot cake be paired with cream cheese icing…HOWEVER, that’s when the idea popped into our heads – why not infuse some wine into the frosting?
Believe us when we say: THESE CUPCAKES ARE DELICIOUS! After having an extremely fun time making them, we brought the cupcakes back to work for a taste test and let’s just say…there were only crumbs leftover! The white wine frosting is what sets this particular combination apart from the classic carrot cupcake with cream cheese frosting. First, you get that cinnamon spice, followed by a burst of sweetness from the cream cheese; then finally finishing with a hint of that white wine in the aftertaste. MOUTH-WATERING – WE KNOW.
A HUGE SHOUT OUT to Pinch of Yum for the amazing carrot cupcake recipe and Magnolia Days for the superb white wine frosting recipe.
FOR THE CUPCAKES
PREP TIME: 30 mins
COOK TIME: 15 mins
YIELD: 12 cupackes
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots (heaping)
- 2/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the grated carrots and the oil. Slowly add the flour mixture, stirring until just mixed. Add the beaten eggs and stir a few times (like 15 or less around the bowl – the fewer the better)!
- Grease a muffin tin or use paper liners. Scoop the batter into a muffin tin, filling each muffin tin about 2/3 of the way up the side. Bake for 13 minutes, check how they’re doing, and add a few minutes if necessary. I find that the baking time varies greatly with oven, so just check for the right golden brown color and springy tops. Allow the cupcakes to cool.
- For the frosting, blend the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar until smooth. Transfer to a plastic bag or similar tool for piping the frosting evenly on the cupcakes.
(Recipe grabbed from https://pinchofyum.com/best-carrot-cake-cupcakes-with-cream-cheese-frosting)
FOR THE FROSTING
PREP TIME: 20 mins
COOK TIIME: 25 mins
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1 box confectioners sugar 16 ounces, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sweet white wine plus more if needed
Beat cream cheese, butter, and salt until smooth.
Add confectioners sugar and vanilla. Beat to combine. Add enough sweet white wine until it reaches spreading or piping consistency.
Spread or pipe frosting on top of cupcakes.
(Recipe grabbed from: https://magnoliadays.com/merlot-cherry-cupcakes-sweet-white-frosting/)