- 1 ½ pounds fresh tuna, cut into 6 steaks about 1-inch thick
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed to a paste
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds, lightly toasted and ground
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, lightly toasted and ground
- 2 teaspoons coarsely crushed black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- Season tuna steaks with salt. Sprinkle with garlic, coriander, fennel and black pepper. Drizzle with olive oil. Rub to coat evenly with spices on both sides. Let marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes (or refrigerate for up to 4 hours and bring to room temperature before cooking).
- Make the red wine sauce: Melt butter over medium-high heat and add shallots. Cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add wine and simmer until reduced by half. Add chicken broth and reduce until 1 cup sauce remains, about 10 minutes. Season with salt, set aside and keep warm.
- Set a wide cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat (or use 2 smaller pans). When hot, lay in steaks and sear for 2 minutes, until nicely browned. Flip and cook 1 minute more for rare, 2 minutes for medium rare. Arrange tuna on a platter or individual plates. Spoon wine sauce over each steak.
BY: DAVID TANIS