Ingredients for making Squash Jeon
- 1piece summer squash (grey squash or Italian young zucchini)
- 1piece large egg
- 1/3cup flour
- 2pinches sea salt
- 1/4cup olive oil
- Cut zucchini into 1/4 inch slices and lay them out on a plate.
Lightly sprinkle cut squash/zucchini slices with good quality sea salt. Leave for 5-7 min until slices bend easily without breaking.
Whisk egg in a shallow bowl and season lightly with salt
Add flour to another shallow bowl. Coat each squash slices with flour on both sides.
Heat 2 T of olive oil in a large frying pan over med high heat. Make an assembly line of the flour coated zucchinis -> beaten egg -> pan. Dip each floured zucchini piece into the egg, coat it fully and then put it in the frying pan.
When edges start to brown, turn over. Jeon is ready when both sides are nicely browned.
Ingredients for Soy Vinegar dipping sauce
- 4teaspoons soy sauce (dark)
- 1tablespoon rice vinegar
- 5teaspoons sugar
- 1/4teaspoon red chili pepper powder
- 1teaspoon rice wine(mirin) or sake
- 1tablespoon water
- 1piece green onion, chopped
- 1pinch sesame seeds
- Chop green onions and add all the ingredients to make the dipping sauce.
By JinJoo Lee