For the cake:
Non-stick baking spray
4 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup vegetable oil
3 cups cake flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup sparkling or still rosé wine
For the icing:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tbsp of milk
1/4 cup seedless strawberry jam
1/4 cup rosé wine
- For the cake: Prepare two 8 inch pans with non-stick baking spray. Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl for about 1 minute (you can use a whisk or a hand blender). Add the oil and whisk well to fully combine.
- Add one-third of the flour, and all of the baking powder and kosher salt to the egg mixture and whisk to combine. Add one-half of the rosé wine and whisk to combine completely. Add another one-third of the flour, then the remaining rosé wine, and the remaining flour; whisking well to combine between each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula and whisk in any unincorporated bits. Transfer the batter to the prepared sheet pan. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 16 to 18 minutes. Remove the cake from the oven and cool completely, about 1 hour.
- For the icing: In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, combine powdered sugar and butter. Set a quarter of the mixture aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the strawberry jam and rosé wine. Microwave on high for 15 seconds then whisk until smooth. Add to the powdered sugar and butter mixture and beat until smooth.
- Add milk to the remaining powdered sugar and butter mixture and use a spoon to mix until smooth.
- Layer the cake using the strawyberry-rosé icing in between the cake. Top with remaining icing.
- Optional: Top with strawberries or pink chocolate.
Original recipe by: Erin Merhar