- 1 cup Unsalted Butter, Room temperature
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup Unsulfured Molasses
- 2 large Eggs, Room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup Confectioners Sugar
- 2 ounces Bourbon
- 1/4 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Heat your oven to 350°F, grease a 9×9 square baking pan and line it with parchment paper.
- Add the butter and sugars to the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on medium speed until light and airy about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the eggs and beat for about 1 minute and then the molasses and vanilla extract. Mix until combined about 1-2 minutes and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, spices and salt.
- Add to the mixer in two parts, mixing on low speed until combined.
- Scoop the dough into the prepared baking pan, spread into an even layer and bake for 23-25 minutes. The center should still be slightly gooey when it comes out of the oven, you want to make sure not to over bake the cookie bars.
- Let cool for about 1 hour on a wire rack, remove from the pan and cut into 9 squares.
- In a small bowl whisk together the confectioners sugar, bourbon and vanilla until smooth.
- Add more sugar if necessary for your desired consistency on the glaze and then drizzle over top of the bars.
- Let set for about 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days.
By: Susan Palmer