This pasta with mushrooms and spinach in a deliciously creamy white wine sauce is the perfect date night dinner! And no date night is complete without a nice glass of wine.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 Banana Shallots / Echalion shallots (90g) peeled then finely chopped (about 3/4 of a cup when chopped)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 7.5 oz brown / chestnut mushrooms (210g) wiped clean then sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup white wine (115ml)
- A pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream / double cream (230ml)
- 10 sun dried tomatoes (from the deli or from a jar) sliced.
- 4 cups young leaf spinach (100g)
- 2 tbsp pine nuts toasted
- 2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley plus more for a garnish if you want
- 11.5 oz linguine (330g)
- 1/5 cup of parmesan* (20g) *I use a vegetarian parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry pan until golden brown then remove from the pan and set aside until ready to use.
Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil then add the pasta and cook according to the packet instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking heat 1 tbsp of oil and 1/2 tbsp of butter in a sauté pan. Add the chopped shallots and cook over a low to medium heat until they are soft, about 10 minutes. They should be translucent, not brown.
- Add the mushrooms, 1/4 tsp each of salt and cracked black pepper, the garlic and another half tbsp of butter to the pan and cook the mushrooms for about 5 minutes. Stir the mushrooms occasionally.
- Turn up the heat then add the wine, leave the wine to bubble away at a fast simmer until it reduces. You should reduce quite a bit, by at least a third.
- Now stir in the sun dried tomatoes to the pan.
Turn down the heat to low then slowly pour in the cream. Add the grated nutmeg and the grated cheese then stir everything together.
- Drop the spinach into the pan now and stir, it should wilt quite quickly.
Once wilted, slowly pour 1/2 a cup of water from the pasta into the sauce, stirring continuously.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it the pour it into the sauce. Add the chopped parsley and pine nuts and toss.
Serve immediately with more grated cheese, some cracked black pepper and a nice glass of wine.
By: Michelle Alston