A make-ahead breakfast casserole made with day old bread, eggs, cheese, sausage and mushrooms. This recipe from the archives is perfect for Christmas morning so I thought I would revive it to give it some attention. You can make this with just about anything, just use your imagination!
Breakfast stratas can be pretty high in fat, generally using at least 8 eggs and 2 to 3 cups of cheese. To lighten this dish I used less eggs, turkey sausage in place of pork sausage, fat free milk, reduced fat cheese and whole wheat ciabatta bread.
You can easily swap out the mushrooms for asparagus or bell peppers, use ham instead of sausage, and make it with any cheese you like. Enjoy, whatever flavor combination you come up with!!
Make-Over Breakfast Sausage and Mushroom Strata
Gina’s Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1/8th • Points +: 7 pts. • Smart Points: 9
Calories: 288.2 • Fat: 12.4 g • Carb: 18.2 g • Fiber: 1.3 g • Protein: 24.3 g
- 8 oz. wheat ciabatta bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (Chabaso)
- 12 oz. turkey breakfast sausage (I used Jenny-O in frozen section)
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 cup (4 ounces) reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 12 oz. egg substitute, like egg beaters
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- salt and fresh pepper
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Arrange bread cubes on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until toasted.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage to pan; cook 7 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Combine milk, cheese, eggs, egg substitute, parmesan cheese, paprika, salt and pepper in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add bread, sausage, scallions and mushrooms, tossing well to coat bread. Spoon mixture into a 13×9-inch baking dish. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover casserole. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Cut into 8 pieces; serve immediately.
***Grabbed from: http://www.skinnytaste.com/make-over-breakfast-sausage-and/