Makes one 8×8 inch pan
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup finely minced jalapeno (optional – seed & stems for extra heat)
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups reduced fat milk
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon gold tequila
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking pan with non-stick buttery cooking spray and place it in the oven to heat.
- In a large mixing bowl cut the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, jalapeno and cheddar cheese with a pastry cutter until all ingredients are incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, milk, and eggs, add into the dry ingredients. Mix until well combined. Stir in the vinegar
- Pour batter into the pre-heated baking pan. Add the tequila to the heavy cream and gently pour it into the center of the batter – Do Not Stir. Carefully return the pan to the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes until golden brown, center will be soft.
- Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes before serving. Best if eaten the same day it is made.
***Grabbed from: http://food52.com/recipes/7121-jalapeno-custard-cornbread