HOLLAND HOUSE Sherry Cooking Wine adds a subtle, sweet background flavor to this spicy, Mexican seasoned marinade. Lean, boneless, skinless chicken breasts are delicious as well.
- 1 cup HOLLAND HOUSE Sherry Cooking Wine
- 1 cup canned tomato puree or crushed tomatoes
- 3 to 4 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (canned)
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 small yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil or olive oil
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 lbs. skirt steak or flank steak
In a blender container, combine sherry cooking wine and remaining ingredients except meat. Cover and run on high until smooth.
Trim steak of any visible fat. Place steak in a non-metallic baking dish or sealable plastic bag. Add marinade; turn meat to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight, turning meat one or more times while marinating.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Drain meat and discard marinade. Grill skirt steak about 6 minutes over direct heat with cover closed. Turn meat; grill with cover closed 2 minutes more or until cooked as desired. Flank steak will take longer to cook.
Slice steak into thin strips across the grain. Serve with warm corn tortillas, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Marinating time: 8–24 hours
Cook time for skirt steak about 8 minutes; flank steak 12-14 minutes
- Use unseasoned tomato puree or crushed tomatoes, not tomato sauce. Tomato sauce is usually seasoned and high in sodium.
- Flank steak is thicker than skirt steak, so score flank steak with a sharp knife so meat absorbs more marinade. Flank steak also has less fat than skirt steak.
Per serving: 220 calories (calories from fat 90), 30g protein, 3g carb, 10g fat (4g sat. fat), 60mg chol, 230mg sodium, 0g fiber