For the Crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup cold sour cream
For the Bourbon Blueberry Filling:
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
For the Topping:
- 1 large egg, beaten
- sugar, optional
To make the Crust:
In a large bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
Add the butter, working it in with your two forks or a pastry cutter, until it’s a coarse meal. The butter should still be in large, pea-sized pieces.
Using a rubber spatula, stir in the sour cream. The dough will be very shaggy at this point. Turn it out onto a well floured work surface, and bring it together with a few quick kneads.
Pat the dough into a 10 inch log, then roll it out into a 10″ x 12″ rectangle. Dust both sides of the dough lightly with flour, and starting with the shorter end, fold it in three – like a letter. Flip the dough over, and roll it again into a 10″ x 12″ rectangle. Fold it in three again. Wrap the dough in saran wrap, and chill for 1 hour.
To make the Bourbon Blueberry Filling:
Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium-heat.
Cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture starts to thicken and coats the back of a spoon, about 6 to 8 minutes.
Transfer the blueberry filling to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
Assembly and Baking:
- Preheat the oven to 425°(F). place a rack on the middle shelf. Line a large pie pan with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough in half and roll each piece into two large circles, about 16″ x 16″.
- Place one of the dough circles on the pan and pour in the filling.
- Cover the filling with other dough circle, using any design pattern of your preference.
- Brush the top of the pie with beaten egg, and sprinkle with sugar, if using.
- Bake the pie for 20 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
Original recipe by: Ashley Manila
(Grabbed from: https://bakerbynature.com/blueberry-bourbon-hand-pies/#wprm-recipe-container-44438)