- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2cup chopped onion
- 1clove garlic, mashed or pressed
- 1/2lb beef top sirloin, flank or skirt steak, cut into small cubes
- 1/4cup red wine
- 3tablespoons whipping cream
- 1can (4 oz) mushroom pieces and stems, drained, chopped
- 1/2cup chopped cooked carrots
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2boxes Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on boxes
Egg Wash, if desired
- 1tablespoon milk
Creamy Chive Spread
- 2/3cup sour cream
- 1teaspoon finely chopped fresh chives
- Heat oven to 375°F. In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook onion in oil 1 to 2 minutes or until translucent. Stir in garlic; cook 45 seconds.
- Stir in beef. Cook about 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Stir in red wine, scraping bottom of skillet. Allow wine to evaporate. Stir in cream, mushrooms, carrots, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Unroll pie crusts. On work surface sprinkled lightly with flour, roll each crust to diameter of 12 inches. Using round cutter, cut five 4 1/2 inch circles from each crust. Place rounded tablespoonful beef filling on half of each dough circle. Fold in half, and press edges with fork to seal. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. In small bowl, beat egg and milk with whisk until blended. Brush on empanadas. Cut holes in tops to vent.
- Bake 14 to 19 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes, and move to cooling rack.
- Mix sour cream and chives. Serve with empanadas.
By: Tablespoon Kitchens