What’s better than a table of pies? A table of pies paired with wines that raise them to otherworldly heights.
Millions will top off their holiday with a piece of pie. Make this year’s finale even more memorable by pairing it with one of these great American wines.
- Finn Hill 2013 En Fleur Sémillon Ice Wine Wahluke Slope (91 points, $35)
This ice wine brings out the pumpkin’s sweet side. Orange and flowers dance with the pie’s silky texture, while pie spices add refinement to the wine’s ripe pineapple.
The Pie:Pecan Bourbon
- Cairdean Estate 2011 Zinfandel Dessert Wine Napa Valley (90 points, $58)
A hefty nut pie deserves a Port-like dessert wine made from powerhouse Zinfandel. Rich chocolate notes match the Bourbon and nuts, while hints of preserved blackberries bring a fruity element to the mix. The mocha-tinged finish will please the coffee-with-dessert crowd.
The Pie: Apple
- Williams Selyem 2013 Vista Verde Vineyard Late Harvest Gewürztraminer San Benito County (94 points, $40)
The comfort of warm apple pie meets its match with this exotic Gewürztraminer. Lychee, apple and melon play off the baked apples, bringing out the pie’s cinnamon and nutmeg.
The Pie: Cranberry-Pear
- Kiona 2013 Late Harvest Riesling Columbia Valley (92 points, $15/750 ml)
The light acidity of this Riesling embraces the tart cranberries, while juicy, tropical fruit brightens the warm, silky pears.
The Pie: Sweet Potato Meringue
- Sheldrake Point 2014 Riesling Ice Wine Finger Lakes (90 points, $60)
The bright, lemony acidity of this playful Riesling ice wine refreshes after a gravy-soaked meal. Let the airy meringue and sweet, gentle peach notes lift your food coma.
The Pie: Chess
- Bodkin 2013 Rogers Vineyard Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc Dry Creek Valley (92 points, $28)
This intensely sweet Southern pie calls for a wine with energetic acidity. This refreshing, baked-pear-flecked Sauvignon Blanc cuts through the pie’s powerful punch.
BY FIONA ADAMS
***Grabbed from: http://www.winemag.com/Web-2015/The-Ultimate-Wine-and-Pie-Pairing-Guide/