- 75g/2¾oz butter
- 500g/1lb 2oz leeks, sliced and washed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 150ml/5fl oz. white wine
- 200ml/7fl oz. double cream
- 75g/2¾oz brioche loaf, cut into 1cm/½in cubes
- 50g/1¾oz Gruyère, finely grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
- Heat 50g/1¾oz of the butter in a frying pan and fry the leeks and thyme for 2-3 minutes, or until softened.
Add the wine and cook until the volume of the liquid has reduced by two-thirds. Add the cream and reduce again by half. Season with salt and pepper and pour into an ovenproof dish
Heat a separate frying pan until hot. Add the remaining butter and the brioche. Cook until golden-brown on all sides. Season with salt and pepper and scatter over the top of the leeks
Sprinkle the cheese on top of the dish and cook in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until golden-brown and bubbling