Time 2 hours
Yield 4 to 5 servings
- 6 shoulder lamb chops 1-inch thick (about 3 pounds)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ large onion, sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Leaves of 1 sprig rosemary plus sprigs for garnish
- 2 salt-cured anchovies, rinsed, boned if necessary
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup dry white wine, preferably Frascati
- 1 ½ cups beef or chicken stock
- 1 ½ pounds roasted small potatoes for serving
Season chops with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a heavy casserole and lightly brown chops on high heat, working in shifts if necessary. Remove chops as they are browned. It is fine if some separate into smaller pieces. Reduce heat to very low, add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent. Add rosemary, anchovies and chili flakes and cook 1 minute. Add vinegar and wine, increase heat and cook until reduced by half. Return lamb to casserole, add stock, and reduce heat to low and cook, partly covered, 1 hour. Halfway, turn chops in pan.
Remove lamb, increase heat and reduce sauce for 5 minutes or so until starting to thicken. Check seasoning, briefly reheat lamb in sauce and serve, garnished with rosemary sprigs, with potatoes alongside.