1. Smoked salmon + champagne or sauvignon blanc
Champagne is the more festive pairing but Sauvignon is the better match, in preference.
2. Oysters + Chablis
A French tradition so a French wine. Muscadet and Picpoul de Pinet, both from oyster producing areas are also good options.
3. Duck (or chicken) liver parfait + pinot gris
You could even go for Sauternes or a similar sweet Bordeaux.
4. Seafood cocktail + Riesling
An off-dry riesling from, say, Washington State or New Zealand.
5. Roast turkey + Rhone reds such as Chateauneuf du Pape
There are many other options but it’s hard to beat this one.
6. Christmas ham + bright fruity reds such as shiraz or Beaujolais
The sweeter the glaze, the riper and fruitier the wine you need.
7. Goose + Barolo or Chianti
Whites like spätlese riesling work too, but most people would expect a red.
8. Duck + Pinot Noir
9. Roast beef + Cabernet Sauvignon, red Bordeaux
Or, to tell the truth, almost any medium to full-bodied red you enjoy.
10. Roast pork + Côtes du Rhône
Or, if you prefer a white and it’s served with apple sauce , German or Alsace riesling.
11. Baked salmon + white burgundy
Salmon and chardonnay is always a winner.
Originally by: Fiona Beckett